Useful Links

Government Regulations

Phone  403.948.8800

Airdrie’s City Plan 2018 - “The City is going to determine the acceptability of backyard beekeeping. The City supports urban agricultural activities such as farmers markets and community gardens and will undertake community engagement processes to determine the acceptability of home-based urban agricultural activities. Urban Agriculture: The practice of growing plants and, in some cases, the keeping of backyard hens and bees in urban and suburban areas. Examples include community gardens, allotment gardens, backyard gardens, edible landscaping, green roofs, apiculture, but excludes large-scale commercial operations, intensive agriculture, and feedlots.”

  • Call: 403.230.1401
  • Planning office advises that, in general, only designated Agricultural districts have beekeeping as a permitted use. One exception is for those on a residential R3 parcel which is 9.88 acres minimum. To confirm your land use status or zoning, check the Rocky View County Atlas. The land use bylaw will detail the specific permissions, such as beekeeping, for your parcel. If beekeeping is an option for you, apply for a development permit for beekeeping as a discretionary use. You should demonstrate your skills, related education, practical experience and any other pertinent information, such as a site plan. Allow 7-9 weeks for a decision from the county.
  • Bylaw is being revised. City’s Enforcement advice right now is to hold off until regulations are established.
  • Phone: 780-962-2611.
  • Check the 2017-18 Land Use Bylaw.
  • Permits and approvals are required only if you are a commercial beekeeper producing honey for sale. You do however need to send an email or letter ( letting the Planners know your intentions, legal land description, hive siting, etc. A table on page 11 of the bylaw shows which zones allow apiaries as either a permitted or a discretionary use. Page 135 shows required set-backs from schools etc. Best advice - talk to the Planning Dept. to ensure you are on the right side of the regs.
  • Phone 780-968-8888

Honey Grading & Labeling

The honey grading regulation controls the sale of honey products in Alberta that are sold to the public.


These two publications are available from Your Bee Health Assurance Team, Alberta Agriculture and Forestry, Plant and Bee Health Surveillance Section:

The following notes are courtesy of Alberta Agriculture and Forestry:

The Bee Act and Regulations form the framework to regulate the beekeeping industry in Alberta. This legislation puts in place much of the necessary systems to respond quickly if there are threats of disease and pest outbreaks or other emergencies that could affect honey bee health. They outline procedures and strategies designed to prevent and control the spread of disease including: conducting inspections and surveillance, ordering treatments, controlling import and export of bees and used equipment, implementing biosecurity measures, and establishing quarantines, surveillance zones and control areas, if necessary. As such, it requires anyone who owns bees or beekeeping equipment to register with the Alberta Apiculture Program and keep all information up to date.

For more details, check

Request for Services

Inspections are required to control the spread of communicable honey bee diseases and pests. All inspections are administered in accordance with the Bee Act and Regulations.

Please read the following inspection descriptions before submitting a request. Any additional documents needed for the service may be submitted to

Bee Health Diagnosis

There are many challenges to keeping healthy bees, including numerous pests and pathogens. Some of these can be easily spread, and may be difficult to diagnose. If you are unsure of what has caused colony mortality, or need help diagnosing a pest or disease, please submit a request. Our Provincial Apiculturist and inspection team will work with you do determine a diagnosis, and inspectors will be sent to your colonies if required.

Permit for Interprovincial Movement of Bees/Queens/Used Equipment

This permit is required for the interprovincial movement of bees, queens and used equipment. It is also required for international imports of queens and bee packages. Before movement of colonies or equipment into Alberta, an inspection must be performed by government inspectors of the exporting province/country. The inspection report must be submitted with a permit request form for moving bees or used equipment. Based on the inspection report, a permit will be issued for moving the bees or equipment to Alberta. An inspection by Alberta bee inspectors may be done on imported bees and equipment as needed.

Phytocertificate for Honey Exports

In order to ship honey internationally, a phytocertificate is required. To request a phytocertificate, please provide the chemical analyses report, American Foulbrood spores in honey report (if needed), pollen analyses report (if needed) and fill the attached application form. When all requested information submitted and approved, a certificate will be issued in 5 working days.

Abandoned Equipment or Colonies

Abandoned colonies or beekeeping equipment may harbour honey bee diseases and/or pests and should be reported.

Federal Bodies

Honey Bee Laboratory Testing Facilities

Other Related Organizations/Websites